Last week we received the go ahead from the owner of 1230 at 38th and Kalamath as well as Civil to continue working towards 100% completion on construction documents. That meant that this week was a big push for taking that leap from design thinking to technical thinking. Originally all of this was going to be due at the end of this week, but due to some issues with Structural regarding the foundation, we had to push the due date out a ways. I was tasked to spend ten hours on drawing up wall sections and details in Revit and generally just cleaning up the Revit model that we so quickly put together when the façade was changing. The work was then passed on to another co-worker, Felipe. The rest of the week was supposed to be spent doing work on Big Piney Library. We won the bid for Big Piney at the beginning of this month.
Big Piney library is located in Big Piney, Wyoming, and Humphries Poli will be the lead architect working on remodel and possibly expansion or relocation for this library. At the beginning of each project Dennis or Joe and the project manager travel to the location of the project for a few days and conduct “research” sessions with the client. They invite the owner (board of trustees, private owner, investors, etc.), the staff or employees, and the general public or the users to a variety of interactive meetings. During these meetings they introduce who they are and get to know their clients. Then they conduct interviews, surveys, and “Mind-Breaking” or “Building-Breaking” exercises. These exercises consist of using large scale printed out floor plans and titled tags for people to dictate things like where is the quiet part of the library? Which entrance do you use? What is the best view? Outdoor space? etc. Mind-breaking exercises consist of participants placing sticky notes with their thoughts on large pieces of paper with categories such as, teen space, renovations, staff, seniors, technology, sustainability, etc. Once all of this information is compiled and Dennis and the project manager, in this case, Ryan, return all of this information is processed and put into a report that continues to grow as progress continues. This book is very similar to the other one that I have worked on previously for another library, Campbell County Library.
My job this week in regards to this library was to compile the aerial images, plans, blank plans, and mind-breaking sheets and have those printed and ready to go for Monday. I also had to print out all of the tags for the exercises. The funny part is, almost every person who walked past me cutting out these tags commented on how they had to do that too or wish they still did not have to do that. After these tasks were completed, I began to compile and set up the report in InDesign for when Dennis and Ryan return from Wyoming next week and we start processing the information.
Time in-between working on this report was spent helping Felipe clean up and organize the Revit model, and draw wall sections and details. I learned a lot about detailing and how walls meet at a parapet, foundation, exterior cladding change, storefront, etc. We have not spent too much time in school with specifics on flashing or membranes, building wrap, or furring for metal panels, so it was fascinating and slightly confusing at first to learn how all of these make up a wall and how to protect any changes in material or direction from water infiltration. Tom and Felipe were happy to teach me what I did not understand.